President and CEO
Victoria Espinel, President and CEO of BSA | The Software Alliance, is a respected authority on the intersection of technology innovation, global markets and public policy. She leads strategic efforts that help shape the technology landscape in 60 countries through work in BSA’s 10 global offices.
Prior to heading BSA | The Software Alliance, Espinel served for a decade in the White House, for both Republican and Democratic Administrations. Espinel advised President Obama on pivotal IP issues in her role as the first US Intellectual Property Enforcement Coordinator. She was the chief US trade negotiator on IP innovation as the nation’s first Assistant United States Trade Representative for Intellectual Property and Innovation. She has also served as a professor of international trade and intellectual property at the George Mason School of Law.
Espinel is a founding and ongoing co-sponsor of Girls Who Code’s Washington, DC, summer immersion program, which empowers young women to pursue careers in STEM fields. She speaks at conferences around the world to build visibility for the amazing things people can do with software, and encourages businesses, governments, and the public to support a policy environment that will enable even more software breakthroughs.
Espinel chairs the World Economic Forum’s Global Agenda Council on the Future of Software & Society and was appointed by President Obama to serve on the Advisory Committee on Trade Policy and Negotiations (ACTPN), the principal advisory group for the US government on international trade. She holds an LLM from the London School of Economics, a JD from Georgetown University Law School, and a BS in Foreign Service from Georgetown University’s School of Foreign Service.
Speeches and Testimony
- Keynote: AICPA 2016 Spring Council Meeting, May 16, 2016. Video
- Digital Festival 2016: Video Interview. June 21, 2016.
- Bloomberg Radio: Discussion on Economic Impact Study, June 16, 2016. Audio (interview begins at 1:30)
- Panelist: Software’s Economic Impact + The Drive for Talent. June 15, 2016. Video
- Keynote: Americas Women in Business Law Awards, June 9, 2016.
- Panelist: Milken Global Conference: Globalization: Path to Prosperity or Race to the Bottom? May 4, 2016. Video
- Keynote: World Wildlife Fund 2015 Fuller Symposium, November 18, 2015. Video
- Panelist: Techonomy: Catch Me If You Can, November 09, 2015. Video
- Testimony: BSA Testimony Before House Judiciary Subcommittee on Courts, Intellectual Property and the Internet on “International Data Flows: Promoting Digital Trade in the 21st Century,” November 03, 2015. Testimony (PDF) | Video
- Testimony: BSA Testimony Before House Energy and Commerce Subcommittees on Commerce, Manufacturing, and Trade and Communications and Technology on the topic of “Examining the EU Safe Harbor Decision and Impacts for Transatlantic Data Flows,” November 03, 2015. Testimony (PDF) | Video
- Panelist: World Economic Forum Summit on the Global Agenda, October 27, 2015. Video
- Testimony: BSA Testimony Before Senate Judiciary Committee on ECPA Reform, September 16, 2015. Written Remarks (PDF) | Video
- Moderator: Data Across Borders: Treaties, Law Enforcement, and Digital Privacy in the Aftermath of Snowden, July 24, 2015. Audio | Video
- C-SPAN Live: Discussion on Patent Reform Supporting Innovation, July 6, 2015. Video
- Huffpo Live: World Economic Forum 2015: Live Updates from Davos, 'Enormous Changes' On Horizon For 'All Economic Sectors', January 21, 2015. Video
- Keynote: Promoting Responsible Data Innovation, December 2, 2014. Transcript (PDF)
- Keynote: International IP Enforcement Summit, London, June 11, 2014. Video
- Keynote: The Future of Transatlantic Trade Conference, Paris, "Modernizing Trade Rules for the Digital Age," April 10, 2014. Text (PDF) | Video
- Keynote: European Cloud Computing Conference, Brussels, "Restoring Confidence in the Global Cloud," April 9, 2014. Text (PDF)
Blogs and Social Media