Director/Senior Director, State Advocacy
Department: US Government Relations
Location: Washington, DC/Sacramento, CA
Reports to: Vice President, US Government Relations
BSA | The Software Alliance is the leading advocate for the global software industry. Its members are among the world’s most innovative companies, developing software that creates jobs and improves people’s lives. With headquarters in Washington, DC, and operations in more than 30 countries around the world, BSA advocates for public policies that foster innovation and drive growth in the digital economy across a range of cutting-edge technology policy issues, including artificial intelligence, privacy, and cybersecurity.
BSA is currently seeking an experienced government relations professional to lead BSA’s 50-state policy advocacy program. In this position, the individual will work with the Vice President to lead an effective state advocacy strategy and program. They will represent BSA and its member companies before state legislatures and agencies and within relevant coalitions. The ability to monitor and provide concise, strategic advice to member companies is necessary. There will be significant travel. The ideal candidate has experience engaging with state legislators, their staffs and relevant agencies, is extremely organized, detail oriented and analytical. A strong understanding of the software industry, a history of working with coalitions, and experience working in data privacy and security are a plus. This position will report to the Vice President, US Government Relations, is responsible for managing external consultants and the Manager, State Advocacy, and works closely the BSA policy team.
Professional Experience and Qualifications:
- Minimum 10-12 years’ relevant work experience.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate policy and strategy concepts in a concise and persuasive manner, both written and verbally.
- Strong interpersonal and engagement experience and skills.
- Demonstrated knowledge of data privacy and security issues.
- Demonstrated ability to deliver results through events, written materials, and other projects.
- Experience working in state government is a plus.
- Politically savvy with relevant and established contacts and relationships.
- Experience working with diverse coalitions and ability to develop and facilitate strategy across a network of internal and external partners.
- Results driven, action-oriented self-starter.
- Ability to multitask, stay organized, meet commitments, deadlines and deliver results on time.
- Work closely with the VP, USGR to develop strategy and goals for state lobbying program.
- Manage a team composed of the Manager, State Advocacy, external consultants/vendors in different locations, and interns.
- Maintain legislative monitoring system to provide BSA member companies with concise and strategic information on what’s most important.
- Find opportunities and drive lobbying as appropriate to deliver legislative results on key topics in priority states.
- Maintain close relations with BSA member companies, including coordinating on policy positions and advocacy activity.
- Develop strategy and serve as BSA’s representative for membership in national and state organizations.
- Serve as a BSA representative on behalf of BSA and its member companies with state legislators and their staffs, including testifying where appropriate.
- Prepare relevant advocacy materials including one-pagers, testimony, et al.
- Use and develop relationships with other industry groups and organizations to build coalitions and partnerships to achieve goals.
- Build upon existing knowledge and understanding of the software industry and key issue areas of data privacy and security.
- Other work and projects as required or assigned.
About BSA Benefits:
BSA recognizes that benefits play an important role in your selection of an employer. We offer generous benefits including many unique benefits and perks to our employees in locations around the world and encourage everyone to live a healthy, balanced life. Our comprehensive benefits include:
- 4 weeks PTO and monthly Mental Health Days
- Exceptional 401k plan employer contributions
- Year-end office shut down between Christmas and New Year’s
- Three weeks’ paid sabbatical every five years
- Generous paid maternity and bonding leave
- Health/Fitness and Financial/Tax Advice allowance
- Professional development, continuing education (including tuition reimbursement) and training
- Flexible workplace
- Casual dress
- And much more!
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please submit your resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Include the position title and location in your Subject Line.
BSA is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity. We embrace and reflect diversity in our staff and seek skilled individuals who are motivated and passionate about the industry, our work and expansive community.
Thank you for your interest in career opportunities at BSA | The Software Alliance!