State Advocacy Intern
Department: Legislative Strategy
Location: Washington, DC
Reports to: Manager, State Advocacy
BSA | The Software Alliance is the leading advocate for the global software industry before governments and in the international marketplace. Its members are among the world’s most innovative companies, creating software solutions that spark the economy and improve modern life. With headquarters in Washington, DC and operations in more than 30 countries, BSA pioneers compliance programs that promote legal software use and advocates for public policies that foster technology innovation and drive growth in the digital economy..
The State Advocacy Intern will work as part of a small team on activities that support BSA’s policy goals, corporate positioning, and reputation. The intern will develop knowledge of BSA its member companies, and the association’s high-priority issues, including digital transformation, data privacy, artificial intelligence, and cybersecurity. This is an exciting opportunity to gain hands-on experience in developing public policy in quick-moving legislative action. The intern will work closely with the Manager, State Advocacy and report to the Senior Director, State Advocacy.
Candidates must be able to work at least twenty (20) hours a week with the flexibility to work additional hours if desired.
Professional Experience and Qualifications:
- Undergraduate or graduate status at an accredited University required.
- Rising junior, senior or graduate student strongly preferred.
- Interest in global software industry and public policy.
- Eager to thrive in a fast-paced, collaborative environment.
- Able to have positive and respectful relationships with internal teams, consultants, and members.
- Strong analytical, organizational, and listening skills.
- Able to learn quickly, have an attention to detail, and manage multiple projects concurrently
- Adept at written, verbal, digital, and presentation communications
- Must possess a proactive, can-do attitude.
- Sense of humor helpful.
- Previous internship or work experience a plus.
- Assist in subject area legislative analysis
- Assist BSA’s State Advocacy team with their daily work and activities including monitoring and reporting on legislative hearings regarding priority legislation
- Conduct research on state policy issues.
- Update State Advocacy team on assigned topics, hearings, and projects.
- Update internal databases and legislative tracking documents.
- Assist in creating contact lists and legislator letters
- Other special projects as-needed.
About BSA Benefits:
BSA offer benefits for our interns, including:
- Exceptional 401k plan employer contributions
- Professional development funds
- Fully remote work
- And much more!
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please submit your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include the position title and location in your Subject Line.
BSA is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity. We embrace and reflect diversity in our staff and seek skilled individuals who are motivated and passionate about the industry, our work and expansive community.
Thank you for your interest in career opportunities at BSA | The Software Alliance!