Director, IT Modernization
Department: US Government Affairs
Location: Washington, DC
Reports to: Vice President, Legislative Strategy
BSA | The Software Alliance (www.bsa.org) is the leading advocate for the global software and enterprise technology industry. Its members are among the world’s most innovative companies, creating software solutions that grow jobs and improve modern life. With headquarters in Washington, DC, operations in more than 30 countries, and a US 50 state program, BSA is the only one-stop shop association for technology policy advocacy.
BSA is currently seeking a Director to drive its work on modernizing government information technology (IT) at the US federal and state levels. The Director is responsible for BSA initiatives related to procurement policies, funding, and other issues that are key to improving governments’ use of technology. The individual will work closely with BSA member companies and maintain relationships with key government officials. The ideal candidate will have a strong background in federal policy, and state experience is a plus. The Director will report to the Vice President, US Government Affairs and work closely with BSA’s Legislative Strategy and Policy teams.
BSA companies are at the forefront of helping governments to improve their digital services, strengthen cybersecurity, and leverage the potential of cloud-based technologies. As outdated IT systems are both less efficient and more susceptible to cyberattacks, BSA advocates policies that enable governments to acquire the best-in-class commercial solutions with the confidence that these technologies are secure, interoperable, and efficient.
Professional Experience and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree required, law or other relevant graduate degree a plus.
- Minimum of 8 years of relevant work experience.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills.
- Excellent writing ability.
- Demonstrated ability to organize policy and social events, roundtable discussions, and other group activities.
- Experience in an Administration or key role in Congress.
- Strong communication (written and verbal), interpersonal and engagement skills.
- Results driven, action-oriented self-starter.
- Proven ability to think, act and produce results independently and also work collaboratively, effectively and transparently with others to develop plans, documents and achieve desired results.
- Ability to think and act strategically.
- Knowledge of the software industry and software development practices, a plus.
- Develop and execute public policy initiatives focused on shaping and influencing US federal and state policies related to government IT modernization and procurement.
- Serve as a BSA representative for building and maintaining relationships with executive branch and legislative officials responsible for IT modernization and procurement.
- Design and implement events with key government officials and BSA members.
- Communicate, coordinate and collaborate with BSA members, keeping them informed, engaged, and aligned.
- Understand how IT modernization and procurement policies intersect with AI, cybersecurity, and other BSA policy issues.
About BSA Benefits:
BSA recognizes that benefits play an important role in your selection of an employer. We offer generous benefits including many unique benefits and perks to our employees in locations around the world and encourage everyone to live a healthy, balanced life. Our comprehensive benefits include:
- Generous health, disability and life insurance
- Exceptional 401k plan employer contributions
- Year-end office shut down between Christmas and New Year’s
- Three weeks’ paid sabbatical every five years
- Generous paid maternity and bonding leave
- Emergency backup child care
- Health/Fitness and Financial/Tax Advice allowance
- Professional development, continuing education (including tuition reimbursement) and training
- Casual dress
- And much more!
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please submit your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include the position title and location in your Subject Line.
BSA is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity. We embrace and reflect diversity in our staff and seek skilled individuals who are motivated and passionate about the industry, our work and expansive community.
Thank you for your interest in career opportunities at BSA | The Software Alliance!