FEB 04, 2020 | GLOBAL
BSA’s Cybersecurity Agenda Raises the Bar for Responsible Security Practices
New agenda urges responsible policies based on international consensus
WASHINGTON – February 4, 2020 – BSA | The Software Alliance today released a new cybersecurity agenda, “Securing Tomorrow: BSA’s Cybersecurity Priorities and Software’s Essential Role.” The agenda outlines a set of priorities to help government and industry build effective cybersecurity policies that preserve trust and strengthen the digital economy.
Our rapidly growing digital ecosystem faces increasingly complex risks, including large-scale data theft, ransomware, attacks on critical infrastructure, and malicious information operations that affect millions of people each year. Mitigating these risks will require innovative security solutions and collaboration with trusted industry partners.
BSA’s cybersecurity agenda lays out five major areas of focus: securing software, strengthening supply chains, building international policy consensus, developing a stronger cyber workforce, and leveraging digital transformation. BSA will carry out several concrete initiatives in each focus area, including working to implement the BSA Framework for Secure Software.
“Our world is more connected than ever before. Increasing adoption of technologies like 5G, the Internet of Things, and cloud computing is only accelerating this progress,” said Victoria Espinel, President and CEO, BSA | The Software Alliance. “BSA and our member companies understand that secure and trustworthy software underpins the security of our digital ecosystem as a whole. Our commitment to strengthening software security by building on the BSA Framework for Secure Software is at the heart of this agenda. The priorities we’ve identified can create the strong, thoughtful policies we need to address mounting challenges.”
Over the coming year, industry and government will confront new security challenges as 5G networks expand. Although much of the 5G discussion to date has focused on hardware, secure software will play a crucial role in combating new security risks. BSA’s cybersecurity agenda calls for increased security in 5G and future networks based on international standards.
BSA’s cybersecurity agenda also emphasizes the importance of managing risks to information technology supply chains. BSA’s core principles for supply chain governance, which focus on risk management, interoperability, transparency, collaboration, and fairness, are a critical tool in helping secure supply chains around the world in a manner that is sustainable and interoperable.
Cybersecurity is key to realizing the full benefits of the digital economy and emerging technologies. BSA encourages government and industry to partner to create cybersecurity policy solutions which:
- Promote a secure software ecosystem by leveraging industry standards, developing novel tools to understand critical security information, and strengthening security research and vulnerability disclosure.
- Strengthen supply chain security by supporting interoperable, risk-based supply chain security policies, strengthening security of 5G and software supply chains, and prioritizing cybersecurity in government acquisition.
- Pursue international consensus for cybersecurity action by supporting international standards development as well as working to align international security laws and promote agreement on global norms.
- Develop a 21st-century cybersecurity workforce by increasing access to computer science and STEM education, opening new paths to cybersecurity careers, and empowering workers with technology.
- Advance cybersecurity by embracing digital transformation, advancing innovative cloud security solutions, leveraging the potential of emerging technologies, and forging innovative partnerships to combat emerging risks.
Working together, government and industry can help the people around the world reap the benefits of the digital economy while protecting our safety, security, and privacy. To view the full agenda, visit: https://www.bsa.org/policy-filings/securing-tomorrow-bsas-cybersecurity-priorities-and-softwares-essential-role
BSA |“软件联盟”(www.bsa.org) 是全球软件行业的主要倡导者，旨在代表该行业，向政府和国际市场发声。其成员包括全球最具创新力的公司，这些公司制定的软件解决方案，不但能够刺激经济，还能提升现代生活的品质。
BSA 的总部位于华盛顿特区，其营运机构遍布 30 多个国家。BSA 凭借这些机构，率先涉足合规项目，以期促进使用合法软件、倡导制定公共政策，并以此培养技术创新能力，以及推动发展数字经济。