FEB 03, 2019 | US
BSA's 2019 Policy Agenda Calls for Government and Industry to Work Together to Modernize Outdated Policies
Comprehensive federal privacy law is a key priority in 2019 software industry agenda
WASHINGTON — February 5, 2019 — Today, BSA | The Software Alliance released its 2019 US Policy Agenda to help shape discussion and debate around some of the most pressing policy issues in Washington. Software supports 10.5 million jobs and adds over $1 trillion to the US economy, with significant impacts in all 50 states. It is critical to modernize outdated laws and create new policies that generate economic opportunity and give consumers confidence in modern technology.
“As we kick off 2019, federal privacy legislation is without a doubt our biggest priority,” said Victoria Espinel, President and CEO of BSA | The Software Alliance. “The software industry -- and many other industry sectors -- recognizes the importance of high federal standards that will give consumers everywhere confidence and control in how their data is used. We look forward to working with Congress to help modernize privacy rules so they are strong and workable for all.”
“BSA’s policy priorities are bipartisan issues, and we know that even in a difficult political environment, legislation will move forward,” continued Espinel. “Software policy issues are areas where Congress, the Administration, and industry work together.”
BSA stands ready to collaborate with Congress and the Administration on these core policy areas:
- Consumer Data Privacy: The software industry is committed to the privacy and security of personal information and calls for strong comprehensive federal privacy legislation in 2019. Consumers deserve transparency and confidence in how their data is being used and protected. One clear, modernized set of federal standards is important for ensuring consistent and high standards throughout the country.
- Smart and Strong Cybersecurity: The world is more connected now than ever. Connected devices and the use of data are improving our economy and the quality of our lives, but this will only continue if we can keep them secure. To secure our industries, workplaces, and homes against evolving threats and growing risks, government and industry must have a strong partnership.
- International Data Agreements and Digital Trade: Businesses rely on the ability to move data across borders. Strong, enforceable digital trade rules and international agreements are necessary to prevent countries from using localization policies to harm the ability of US companies to compete abroad and hire in the US.
- Law Enforcement Access to Data: To combat crime and threats to national security, law enforcement and the technology community must work together. Now is the time to take practical steps to enable lawful access to digital evidence in ways that don’t undermine cyber defenses including encryption and reinforce constitutional privacy protections.
- Realizing the Potential of Artificial Intelligence: AI is already driving advances in healthcare, agriculture, infrastructure, security, and many other areas. Understanding how emerging technologies like AI work and its current capabilities, and building long-term strategies to manage related challenges, will help both realize the technology’s potential and create a framework for addressing public policy issues as they arise.
- Modern Workforce for the Digital Economy: Enabling the American workforce to benefit from the new digital economy requires preparing new generations of workers for the jobs of the future and assisting current workers as they transition to emerging opportunities.
- Intellectual Property Protection: IP protections foster the research and development that drives innovation. Software accounts for nearly 20% percent of all US business R&D. Policies to properly protect IP are critical to maintaining this investment.
For more information about BSA’s 2019 Policy Agenda, click here.
BSA |“软件联盟”(www.bsa.org) 是全球软件行业的主要倡导者，旨在代表该行业，向政府和国际市场发声。其成员包括全球最具创新力的公司，这些公司制定的软件解决方案，不但能够刺激经济，还能提升现代生活的品质。
BSA 的总部位于华盛顿特区，其营运机构遍布 30 多个国家。BSA 凭借这些机构，率先涉足合规项目，以期促进使用合法软件、倡导制定公共政策，并以此培养技术创新能力，以及推动发展数字经济。