Girls Who Code
Summer Immersion Program
June 24 - August 12, 2015
To empower more young women to pursue degrees and careers in Science,Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM) fields, BSA | The Software Alliance, along with Lockheed Martin and Georgetown University sponsored the Washington, DC, area’s inaugural Girls Who Code Summer Immersion Program. The Girls Who Code program, which kicked off June 24, brought 60 young women from throughout the DC region to Georgetown University’s downtown campus for seven weeks of intensive instruction in computing skills, ranging from mobile app development to web design to robotics.
In addition to learning to code, students heard from influential industry leaders and government officials inside the classroom, and took field trips around DC to meet with leaders in technology and government. The Summer Immersion Program also included informal mentorship opportunities focusing on career and educational development, where students were paired with leading female executives from the DC area.
BSA and Girls Who Code Featured on PBS:
- Video: BSA | The Software Alliance and Girls Who Code Featured on PBS, September 18, 2015
- BSA TechPost: The Voices of Girls Who Code, August 21, 2015
- BSA in the News: Tech Bisnow Highlights Girls Who Code Program’s DC Graduation, Bisnow, August 14, 2015
- BSA in the News: The Washington Post Visits the BSA-Sponsored Girls Who Code Classroom, Washington Post, August 13, 2015
- BSA in the News: Stephanie Hill, Victoria Espinel: STEM Programs Needed to Address IT Gender Gap, ExecutiveBiz, July 16, 2015
- BSA in the News: Closing the Gap, The Hill, July 15, 2015
- BSA in the News: A Day in the Life of an Aspiring Teen Girl Coder, DCInno, July 15, 2015
- BSA in the News: Early Introduction Can Encourage More Women to Join STEM Fields, Chicago Tribune, July 13, 2015
- BSA in the News: High School Coders Head to The Hill, Bisnow, July 10, 2015
- Press Release: BSA, Lockheed Martin, and Georgetown University Join Forces to Sponsor Inaugural Washington, DC, Girls Who Code Summer Immersion Program, June 24, 2015
BSA | The Software Alliance (www.bsa.org) is the leading advocate for the global software industry before governments and in the international marketplace. Its members are among the world’s most innovative companies, creating software solutions that spark the economy and improve modern life.
With headquarters in Washington, DC, and operations in more than 60 countries, BSA pioneers compliance programs that promote legal software use and advocates for public policies that foster technology innovation and drive growth in the digital economy.